Thursday, January 17, 2013

Homemade Tomato Soup...Yum!


Yesterday I was looking for an easy tomato soup recipe and found this one on Marin Mama Cooks. It's an heirloom tomato soup. I realize heirloom tomatoes aren't in season right now so I used a combination of hot house, yellow and orange tomatoes. The recipe calls for overripe tomatoes so I was lucky enough to find a container of overripe hot house tomatoes for $2 on the reduce for Quick sale shelf at FarmBoy.


First step is to gather and prep your veggies! The recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic...I added 3 for good measure!



 Chop your tomatoes into chunks. Don't those tomatoes look great in my newly thrifted Spring Blossom Cinderella bowl?



Using a dutch oven "sweat" onions and herbs in 1/4 of Olive Oil. 


Add your chopped tomatoes, garlic and salt, let simmer for 10-15 minutes until tomatoes are broken down.


Remove herbs and add another 1/4 cup of Olive Oil and 1 teaspoon of Balsamic Vinegar. 


Remove from heat and blend using a blender or immersion blender. Return to heat until ready to serve.


Voila! Easy tomato soup...add some tortilla strips and sour cream or pair it with grilled cheese. It's a perfect lunch on a cold, winter's day! Notice the the pink and green Kitschy tablecloth? I thrifted it last year and it will be part of my kitchen Valentine's decor.  

Heading over to Feminine Adventures for Thrifty Thursday!

Until we thrift again...
AJ

3 comments:

  1. I'm a failure at soup making - but this looks pretty easy - chowders -no problem - soup - not so good... And, yes, your Spring Blossom does look quite nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy. Can't go wrong with tomato soup and grilled cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your recipe at Thrifty Thursday! My mom would always make us homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese growing up--brings back good memories :)

    ReplyDelete