Monday, October 1, 2012

Halloween Book Countdown...


This past weekend we hauled out our bins of Halloween decorations. Haakon was very excited to get the house decorated for Halloween


Notice the PBK Halloween Advent Calendar- don't worry I didn't pay full price it was drastically reduced after Halloween 2 years ago! This year I made sure to get it up before the first of the month.

In our house we love to read seasonal picture books so, last year I started a countdown to Halloween using our favourite Halloween and pumpkin books. Since I teach Kindergarten I tend to buy any interesting fall or Halloween picture books I can find when I'm out thrifting. Brown Paper Packages  uses her local library for her Halloween Book Countdown. 
I have over 80 titles to choose from so it was hard to decide which ones to include! Here are the 31 titles I chose to include:

1. Franklin's Halloween - Paulette Bourgeois~Brenda Clark
2. Halloween Coutdown - Jack Prelustsky~Dan Yaccarino
3. Five Little Pumpkins - Dan Yaccarino
4. The Fierce Yellow Pumpkin - Margaret Wise Brown
5. The Ghost-Eye Tree - Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
6. Arthur's Halloween - Marc Brown
7. The Haunted Ghoul Bus - Lisa Trumbauer
8. Goodnight Goon - Michael Rex
9. The Runaway Mummy - Michael Rex
10. Halloween Day - Anne Rockwell
11. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything - Linda Williams
12. Moonlight The Halloween Cat - Cynthia Rylant
13. Sixteen Runaway Pumpkins - Dianne Ochiltree
14. There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat! - Lucille Colandro
15. The Bumpy Little Pumpkin - Margery Cuyler
16. The Runaway Pumpkin - Kevin Lewis
17. One Halloween Night - Mark Teague
18. Pumpkin Circle - George Levenson
19. The Biggest Pumpkin Ever - Steven Kroll
20. Scary, Scary Halloween - Eve Bunting
21. Jack O' Lantern's Scary Halloween - Robert Kraus
22. Halloween Mice - Bethany Roberts
23. Room on the Broom - Julia Donaldson
24. The Three Bears' Halloween - Kathy Duval
25. Halloween Fun - Judy Owens
26. Big Pumpkin - Erica Silverman
27. Pumpkin Heads - Wendell Minor
28. The Halloween Play - Felicia Bond
29. Pumpkin Day, Pumpkin Night - Anne Rockwell
30. It's Pumpkin Time - Zoe Hall
31. I Like Pumpkins - Jerry Smath

I used black and orange tissue paper to wrap the books.

Haakon opening today's book!


Do you have a favourite Halloween or fall picture book? 


5 comments:

  1. We like Hello, Harvest Moon! Can't believe you have that many Halloween books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps I though of another idea,if you didn't have orange and black tissue paper, you could use white and put black eyes like little ghosts, ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea!
      Actually I was thinking of trying to be more green for next year and using Halloween fabric so I can make reusable book bags with numbers on. I would wait until after Halloween when the fabric is on discount.

      Delete
  3. My kids like Witch, Witch Come to my Party. It has a Brown Bear, Brown Bear repetitive style to it and the illustrations are amazing, if a little spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great book! I will have to check it out as Brown Bear, Brown Bear is one of our favourites!!

      Delete